Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Friday 2 September 2016

FORK AND KNIFE PALAVA

Abimbola Omole


       Let me just start with this little embarrassing story, I'm so shy right now but.... *shrugs. It's about the first time I used fork and knife in a formal setting. *covers face*
     It was an embarrassing experience. I was in 400 level. *stares at feets* and was during my IT days in IITA. Yeah, IITA.  Although, getting an IT placement wasn't an easy one to be honest. But then, I serve a Living God who just loves me soooo muccchhh! That'll be story for another day!
As an IT student, I was entitled to some free meals midday! Those meals were just so......timely. We were given meal tickets and you'll enter canteen, drop your ticket and collect ya food. Shikena. No stress. I was told to resume on the 6th of May, 2013.   
Yeah, I'm keen with dates *Pouts. So skip to break time now, I entered canteen with other IT students from other schools (LAUTECH, FUTO, NDU and so on sha). I joined a queue, dropped my ticket and collected my food. We also went to collect our cutlery to chop, they all picked fork and knife. I was telling myself, 'bimbola. Jejely take spoon, you wouldn't wanna do this' but then, I kent fall my school hand! Only I will be using spoon to eat when others are using cutlery! O ti o. Kolewerk! So I grabbed my cutlery too!



 Lol.  I got to my table, my senses were alert now. I was trying to figure it out.  Cos the only knowledge i had was that fork should be on the left hand and the knife on the right  finish. Obviously I don't know how to handle the knife, talk more of the fork. I fumbled. Jesus. I fumbled big time!  One girl from Lautech noticed she just smiled at me. Lol. I was so embarrassed! Cry with me please.....I can't do it alone... ☹☹☹
I later spent the rest of the daygoogling''how to use cutlery'' and ''how to overcome embarrassment at work'' in no particular order.  I later got a hang of it sha. Cos I spent six months using fork and knife at meal time. Since we're creatures of habits, it got stuck and I'm really glad I learnt it. *shines teeth
   I'm so sorry I got carried away, I just like sharing experiences like this to show that most of the little things we neglect are extremely important and if care isn't taken, one will always find one's self in embarrassing situations, like I did. So because I'm a naiz person I wanna share some 'how tos' in using Fork and Knife! There are many styles in using cutlery like American styles, European styles and so on, but the generally acceptable one is the European style,
LETS DO THIS
  • Your fork should be on the left side and your knife should be on the right side.  (In case there's more than one fork, the outer one is your salad fork and the inner one is for your main dish, salad forks will be smaller)
  •  In holding your knife, your index finger should be straight, on top and resting on the blunt side of the blade, your thumb juxtaposes it on the side.  The other fingers wrapped around the handle. The end of the knife should be touching the base of your palms.
  • While eating, the prongs of the fork should face downwards; the index finger should rest on the back side of the fork, the other four fingers wrapped around the handle.
  • Both index fingers should be pointing downwards towards your plate. Your elbows should be relaxed and OFF the table.
  • By applying pressure through your index finger, hold the food down with your fork. Always use your knife to cut food items on your plate.  When cutting, place the knife close to the base of the fork and cut in sawing motion.
  • Bring small portion of food to your mouth.
  • Note- when eating pasta, you can twirl it around with your fork.
  • After meal, place your fork and knife in 6:30 position.
  • Don't forget to RELAX! And HAVE FUN!
Oya share some embarrassing food moments with me in the comments section! *shines teeth. I Looooooooovvvvvvvveee Yooooooouuuuuu!

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for my tush Secondary School... By the way, all that one na formality. I haven't been comfortable for once using them... TIP OF THE DAY: Don't ever try in public those things you are not comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! They taught us to use fork and knife in my secondary school! It just didn't stick back then, I nor rep FEGGO at all! This is my doing! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Coprights @ 2016, Designed By VADEX BRANDS