Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Sunday 11 September 2016

EWEDU SOUP!!!

Abimbola Omole



Home grown Ewedu leaves
Ewedu soup is one of the most popular Nigerian soups among the Yorubas. Little wonder when I was serving
in Abakaliki, I couldn't find it to buy to prepare, but there's a life saving bukateria where it's being sold with Amala. I go there anytime I want to get a break from Igbo soups and it helps to remind my taste buds of what home tastes like! 

Ewedu soup has lots of benefits to offer, it's highly nutritious and can even aid in weight loss. It is very easy to prepare and you can go ahead to use a whisk, hand or Jug blender, instead of the crude ways of using Ijabe. Lol, my momma must not hear me say this! 


Some people don't even use Kaun (Potash), but be rest assured. Blending also can do the magic of enhancing the viscosity!
Let's get to busines!!

INGREDIENTS

  • I Big Bunch of Ewedu Leaves

  • 2 Cups of Water

  • 3 Tablespoon Locust Beans (Iru, I love it so I kinda put much.)

  • 1 Heaped tablespoon Ground Crayfish (optional)

  • 1 Knorr cube

  • Salt to taste

PREPARATION:



Ø  Pick your Ewedu leaves; dont pick the stalk/stem along with it. It's an abomination to pick the stem with it! LOL

Ø  Wash the leaves thoroughly to rid it of dirt. Basically, like three to four times!


Ø  Pour the two cups of water into a pot and bring to a rolling boil.

Ø  Add the Ewedu leaves and boil for 2 minutes, then add the locust beans, continue to boil till it bcomes tender, this should take about 8-10 minutes 

Ø  If youre using a broom (Ijabe) like I did, use the broom to pound the leaves

Ø  If youre using a blender, allow the Ewedu to cool off for a bit


Ø  Add the Ewedu into a blender along with the Iru, dont add all the plenty water, basically half of a cup should do, because Too much water will make Ewedu too watery! You should get a semi-purée consistency

Ø  Transfer the Ewedu back into the pot; add the ground crayfish, knorr cube and salt to taste

Ø  Let it simmer with the residual heat for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Do not overcook or the Ewedu will go brown and it won't taste nice at all!

Voila! Ewedu soup is ready! I took mine with its two best buddies - GBEGIRI AND BUKA STEW


Dont forget to Read, Share and Comment with your friends and family!!!! I Looooovvvvveeeee Yooooouuuu!!!!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Designed By VADEX BRANDS