Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Friday 2 December 2016

BOTTOM POT OR NAH ?!

Abimbola Omole


Story Time! Yay! I'm always excited when telling stories, cos I really don't talk much in person and this is an avenue for me to tell as much stories I have locked up in my head! :)

BOTTOM POT is the sweetest part of every cooked food. Lol, let me break it down for you, take Jollof Rice for example, after adding all the ingredients you're expected to stir with a wooden spoon, no matter how often you stir, some of the ingredients are often concentrated in the bottom pot. It's just how it is and you can really do nothing about it!
Don't get me wrong, bottom pot is not the burnt black scraps of food in a pot. Nope, not that.  It's the layer of food just above the burnt part. It has a smokey flavor coupled with an overflowing concentration of ingredients. That's why it tastes so sweeeeeeeeet! 




 My childhood was a very interesting one. I grew up with both older and younger sisters! My mom will force both me and my two sisters to stay in the kitchen with her, we'll assist her in chopping, slicing, dicing and sorts. That's where I learnt my onion slicing game! Of course we got chunks of fish and meats as motivation, and we'll all do the tasting tasting together!

When food is ready, and my mom finishes dishing the food to everyone, me and my elder sister will start hanging around the kitchen with spoons in our hands to scrape the hell out of the pot. My mom noticed initially and told us to stay off but, We kent naa! Stay off bottom pot?? Ko possibu ma. We got punished a time or two but we still didn't change.

 Later, my mom started pouring water into the pot to stop our scraping. She said scraping pot is a sign of poverty and we're not servants. In my mind, I was like..Haba!  Mommy, is not poverty anything. Food is Food. -_- she convinced my elder sister sha, and she stopped. This made me two times happier! No more competition for bottom pot and I can have the whole pot to myself! What could be more satisfying? LOL

Although, I have overgrown that habit but sometimes, the child in me still craves bottom pot. Some foods with delicious bottom pot are : Jollof rice, Beans, Yam, Sweet potato and Plantain Pottages, to mention but a few. So when next you see a child scraping pot, just minimize scolding and collect the child's spoon and assist him/her in scraping! If you don't take care of them, who will?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Designed By VADEX BRANDS